Much of AD's heritage lies in the old Exchange directory, which was
ESE-based.

-gil

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of joe
Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2005 8:38 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Adding custom fields to AD

> One thing I am curious about though is why MS opted for JET
> as the DB of choice for AD.. was it the only viable option
> at the time ?

What do you feel is wrong with ESE (aka Jet Blue)?

> What's the ceiling on actual database size before it caves in
(performance-wise)?

Max size for an ESE DB for AD is ~16TB (8KB pages * 2147483646 max pages
[1]). As for when it caves perf wise from an AD standpoint it really
depends
on what you are doing with it and what you have indexed from what I have
seen. If someone is issuing crappy inefficient queries it will seem to
be
pretty slow pretty fast with relatively little data.

The largest DB I have seen in production has been ~20GB and that was
with
W2K on a GC and a bunch of that data shouldn't have been in the AD like
duplicated ACEs and misc unneeded objects, etc. Going to K3 would
probably
reduce that DB to about 10-12GB or better due to single instance store,
cleanup would reduce it even further. One Fortune 5 company I have
worked
with had a K3 GC DB in the area of 5GB and that was for some 250,000
users
with Exchange and multiple custom attributes.

  joe

[1] See the docs for JetCreateDatabase -
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ese/ese
/jet
createdatabase.asp?frame=true