From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tom Kern
Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2005 4:44 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] Adding custom fields to AD

I've had the reverse-
last place i worked at had corrupted WINS at least once every 2 months(this could of been due to my lousy admin skills)
i've never had issues with dns(could be my dumb luck)
now i work for a corp that has netbios/tcp disabled and relies solely on dns(both MS and BIND) with no name resolution issues.
also wins replication seems much more complex than standard primary/secondary dns replication.

and i'm not one to think i know anything as an admin or would even think of getting into such a disscussion with someone as experienced and knowldgable as you, but i've always found dns easier than wins and netbios names in general.

my only diffculty came with learning dns on BIND/Linux and just wrapping my head around AD intergrated dns when i first came to Windows.
sometimes when you learn something via the command line, using the gui just confuses things.

then again i'm probably one of those guys who "thinks" he knows dns but really doesn't know anything and hasen't found out yet :(

what would you think would be a good replacement for dns/wins?
thanks