From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Noah Eiger
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2005 2:01 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Virtual Servers in Branch Offices

Thanks for the thoughts. And thanks Tony for the reference -- just finished reading it.

Unfortunately, deploying the DC at HQ or simply authenticating over the WAN is not really an option. The WAN links are ok (and getting better) but are located in places where environmental (as in the weather) conditions often cause short interruptions.

Does placing the DC inside a virtual machine add any security? Would it be harder for someone with physcial access to compromise the DC? The white paper does not really make this clear. Also, I am assuming that a host machine would be a domain member, right? Does it authenticate off the virtual DC? [1]

Thanks again.

-- nme

[1] This sort of reminds me of the scene in Animal House when they talk about the "whole universe as we know it existing under the fingernail of some other giant being..." Whoa, dude!