I have _vbscript_s using WSH extensively for handling computer migrations .
I have used WMI just for finding the serialnumber of machine, everything else is handled by WSH.
And my scripts are in the range of 500  to 10 K lines, and I have done some 3000+ migrations with these scripts.

So, I can say WSH is no problem if you know what you want to do.
besides that, WSH will be consistent across OS version. (at least NT and above, I have tested)

while WMI has different number of classes available on different OS version. (more recent OS will have more classes)
so if you find a class you want to use, you have to make sure that it is supported by all the OS version you going to run the script on.

Generally, If i can do a task by WSH easily, i will not use WMI. ( you will tend to know the difference as you use them more and more)

Good start for you would be the Microsoft Technet Script Center.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/default.mspx

--
Kamlesh