Were the entries dropped off the end of the file, or were they missing from the middle? Any pattern to the entries that were missing?

-gil

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ulf B. Simon-Weidner
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 3:36 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] Netlogon.dns (2)

Instead of hijacking another thread I'm going to start my own ;)

What I've seen recently and was pretty surprised: A customer of mine had incomplete netlogon.dns-files, they had some of the records which were supposed to be there but not all. On some DCs about 50% of the netlogon.dns was missing.

Really bad about this is that the tools like dcdiag only test the content of the netlogon.dns against the DNS-Service, and that the netlogon-process does not check the content of the netlogon.dns without any changes unless the file is missing. So the customer had missing DNS-Informations for ages and never noticed it - not everyone is digging around in DNS and knows what's supposed to be there ;)

DCs were W2k SP4.

Anyone seen this before? OK - I've already fixed it by renaming netlogon.dns and restarting netlogon, but I'm curious if anyone has ideas where this might come from and if anyone has seen it before.

Gruesse - Sincerely,

Ulf B. Simon-Weidner

  MVP-Book "Windows XP - Die Expertentipps": http://tinyurl.com/44zcz
  Weblog: http://msmvps.org/UlfBSimonWeidner