From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of joe
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 7:45 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Windows 2003 SP1 upgrade...

No. MS made it now so that you either need to use an ID that has admin rights or you have to change the ACL on the SCM to monitor the services OR the application doing the monitoring needs to know specifically what service to look at AND know how to ask how to open it WITHOUT asking for enumeration rights which is unusual since it was always possible previously because the ACL on the SCM wasn't configurable. All example source showed how to do it in a way that would break after the change.

What this change does is require more privileges to do work easily done with an unprivileged account or to require you to partially undo what MS did to lock it down. Since the ability to change the SCM ACL previously wasn't something that could be done at all, I understand the idea to lock it down once it could be modified. However, MS didn't really give much in the way of tools to operate with it set that way. There was one tool, SC that was modified in order to work with it and at least initially, it wasn't very well documented. This easily should have been a GPO config item just like the other service ACL configs. Personally, I would have greatly appreciated say a new group... RemoteServiceEnumeration or something like that, then people simply add principals to that group in order to keep their apps working.

I have often monitored services on servers remotely with an ID that has normal user rights in the domain. The ID had no permissions on the servers at all other than to look at them. Others have done the same. The monitoring scripts/apps would list all services to see what was running and what wasn't running, any changes whatsoever would be reported so you knew when something got added and when something got removed or if something was started that wasn't previously running or something that was previously running no longer was running. After SP1, it took modifying the ACL or granting admin level rights or required the ID to be used locally on the local machine instead of remotely.

This change, forced people, at least initially until documentation started coming out, to use higher power IDs to do something that previously could be done with lower power do-nothing IDs. To put it another way, there is no technical reason whatsoever that an admin ID is required to monitor services. Heck you can even delegate service control to non-admins, I have been giving out ability to stop/start specific services on servers since early NT4 days.

BTW, which LUA are you referring to? The actual principal of least user access where you don't give people access to things they shouldn't have or the LUA to allow non-privileged users to actually do things without being an admin? I think the first, but it caught me by surprise and I read it as the second initially because most MS folks are using LUA strictly to speak about the new capability in Vista. I didn't mention LUA but was referring to not having to be an admin to do something simple.

I have no problem with locking things down, but don't catch people by surprise. This should have been something you are told about DURING the lockdown where you are asked WHO should be able to do it by adding them to a security group or worse but better than nothing a right, or it should have been something easy and intuitive to back out or modify the functionality for. Most MS admins haven't a clue what SC is, those of us that did had no clue there were changes in it until people started talking a lot about this issue. Even still, the MS GUI service tools don't work correctly with this change.

I have heard people using this "fix" as an excuse for why people should have admin rights for doing things they don't need admin rights for because, they say, you never know when an MS fix is going to change things such that delegation won't work and you can't afford to not have things work.

I think I understand the logic behind the change, it is about obscuring what is running. Obviously that is worthless from an automated hacking tool standpoint because they don't generally try to enumerate services, they just attack ports. Hiding the service list isn't going to do much just like renaming the admin account isn't going to do much if you allow enumeration of the SIDs. Which is another good example, instead of just blocking that capability, what did MS do? They gave you the option....

   joe