There must be an error code with that error. Can you post it?

Cheers,
Jorge

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Steve Rochford
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2005 09:47
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] Failed DC

Had a problem with a DC (2K3; SP1) earlier this week which wouldn't boot
- came up with an error message about AD being unable to start and
suggesting restart in directory services restore mode.

This DC doesn't desperately matter; it holds no FSMO roles; there's no
data on it so I can live without it for a while so I've been trying to
fix it and failing miserably!

My initial idea was to just run dcpromo to remove AD and then put it
back cleanly but I can't do this in DS restore mode - I get an error
that I'm running in safe mode and can't use DCPromo.

I found a KB article about using ntdsutil and esentutl to perform a
lossy repair of the database; I disconnected the server from the main
network (didn't want any losses propagating!) and tried repairing but
this also failed to give me a working server.

I tried doing a repair install - I hoped that that would take me back to
a server without AD but it doesn't - it leaves AD installed and not
functioning.

I've now used ntdsutil on a working DC to remove all traces of this (so
that I don't get error messages about replication with a dead server)

I can just format the disc and start again but I'm in a stubborn mood
:-) Is there any way I can remove AD from a server like this? (one last
thing - I don't have a good system state backup for this machine
otherwise I'd have used that...)

Steve