Title: Way OT: DC & Server monitoring tools
DirectoryAnalyzer from NetPro. http://www.netpro.com/products/directoryanalyzer/index.cfm.

Paid for by the Sell More NetPro Products Committee. (c) 2006 All Rights Reserved.

-gil

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of joe
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2006 4:16 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Way OT: DC & Server monitoring tools

You will get as many different answers as people that respond to this. Monitoring tends to be a big personal feeling item, especially when you start asking for cheap solutions. Most of the bigger well known names are not inexpensive such as MOM, HP OVO, etc.

Something I used for a long time for various things including a majority of the monitoring of the DCs of a very large AD Deployment I used to do ops for was called HostMonitor.

http://www.ks-soft.com/hostmon.eng/index-price.htm

The tool is (or at least was I haven't looked in a while) primarily agentless, in fact agents were an addon if you wanted them. That is one of the things I liked about it. I have personal issues with depending on a server completely monitoring itself. The issues being additional overhead for the agents, the fact that the agents can impact the functioning of the server, and that if the server is bad enough off, the agent can't tell anyone anyway. I much prefer service availability based monitoring, test the services remotely like a client would.

I was able to pull most of my custom perl scripts into the engine and let it do the driving of the scripts and the notification for all sorts of things like AD replication, WINS name resolution, etc.

   joe