>>when the GPO guys screwed up on the main account domains.  The locked down EVERY single userid to kiosk mode

Most people mitigate this sort of risk by technical review, automating the change app lication, and testing in a separate test forest.  I can't see creating a separate domain as a "safe haven" for screwups like that. And it doesn't provide a safe haven from lots of other potential screwups like replication topology changes or schema mods.

-gil