Thank you to everyone on the list who came to DEC this year and helped make it
a success. I've had nothing but positive comments ranging from "really great"
to "un-f***ing-believably great". I've had four different people tell me
(including Stuart) that if they can only go to one show a year, DEC would be it.

Certainly the Joe & Dean Show stands out as a popular (and hillarious, and
informing) event, but even more critical to the show's success was having the
expertise of people like joe, Dean, Guido, Ulf, Jorge, Laura, Wook, and the
other list-denizens wandering the halls and talking to people. There was a
_scary_ amount of expertise attending the show, and _that's_ what brings people
back.

One of the things I do during DEC is wander the halls during the parties and
between sessions and listen in on the conversations... I usually don't pick up
on anything specific, but I can usually get a sense of the conversation... is
it positive/negative, is it energetic, are the people engaged, etc. And this
year the halls were positively buzzing, all the way through the final sessions
on Wednesday afternoon. It has _never_ been like that before.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank joe, Ulf, Dean, and Laura for
helping Guido and me with the pre-conference disaster recovery workshop. They
wandered into the room where we were setting up, and stayed with us till well
after midnight testing and configuring the lab systems. Hmmm... funny, that's
about when the Scotch ran out as well... :) To give you an idea of how cool
these guys are, they showed up at the workshop the next morning around 7:30
(after getting very little sleep the night before) and spent the next several
hours configuring the IP settings in the 150+ lab VMs because the code I wrote
to automate the process crashed and burned. And then they spent the rest of the
workshop helping the attendees get connected to the wireless net, helping them
do the exercises, answering questions, etc. etc. All voluntary, just to help
out.

I have to give special thanks to Jorge for running through the pre-conference
lab docs until about 3:00 in the morning, just out of the goodness of his
heart. Jorge is touring the Southwest US for the next couple of weeks with his
girlfriend Nellika (sp?) and I hope he has a great trip.

And double-special-thanks to Guido for partnering with me to produce the whole
pre-conference workshop. Guido spent more nights and weekends than either of us
want to remember to put the workshop together, and I certainly could not have
done it without him. As big a PITA as it was, working with Guido made it a lot
of fun.... except for the part when the VMs started to blue-screen an hour
before the workshop was supposed to start. That part truly sucked. :)

Thanks again to all of you who came, and I hope those who couldn't make this
year can make it next year.

-gil