My recent favorite was a rather "popular" software vendor told me I needed to increase my maxIdleConnectionTime for the Directory higher than 900s (15 mins)because their connection was timing out while processing the first page of 1000 users, and having the connection dropped before they went back for the next.  I basically told them if they can't process 1000 users in less than 15 minutes,  then they surely could not handle my entire user population which they were trying to loop through.   I think we calculated we would have to increase that time to to over 32 hours so their crapplication could complete. :)

I'll let you guess what did not happen in that situation. :)

Jef

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] stupid ldap queries
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:07:09 -0400

Oh I love those! The app dev folks (or vendor) tell you that your AD is broken because it is so slow... Yep I have been there.

Indexing is fine, just index things you regularly query on, no reason to suck up resources and perf for indexes that aren't used. For instance, indexing all attributes doesn't make sense but if you have a crit app or a bunch of apps using a query with no indexed attributes or having a specific attribute that could seriously help perf it is good to add.

Wook, I think, is being a trifle facetious and plugging his creative work. :)

Schema updates are goodness when done correctly and smartly. There is no reason to be scared of doing them, just be scared of doing them wrong. <g>

--
O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition - http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm