OS, DIT, logs on separate spindles.

Enough memory to store the DIT + overhead.

-gil
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Al Lilianstrom
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 1:24 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] DC Configuration

We have some budget money to replace domain controllers this year. Not
all of them but probably half of them. We've pretty much decided on 64
bit Dell PowerEdge servers. Most of the discussion is about disk
configuration. Two schools of thought exist here.

1) 2x73GB 15K drives in RAID1. Carve up the volume at the OS level with
20GB or so for the OS and the remainder for NTDS, Sysvol, and system
state backups

2) Two sets of 2x73 10K drives in RAID1. The first set is for the OS,
the second is for NTDS, Sysvol, and system state backups.

I've always liked physically separating the OS from the application
data. Others here like carving up the volume at the OS.

Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

        tia, al
--

Al Lilianstrom