Hello list,

(Skip the first Paragraph if your in a rush :p  It is a self introduction.)

This is my first post so I would like to introduce myself and say hello to everyone and thanks for the bucket loads of good info floating around.  I am relatively new to the industry and this is my first permanent job since University, I have just 8 months in my current role after 6 months of contracting for a large Aerospace company.  I work for a consultancy that mainly provides software solutions using .net.  I am working as a Systems Admin and am totally responsible for our internal systems (25 or so servers including development boxes) and also for several external clients server environments.  I have been trying to pick up as much as possible by reading books, blogs, whitepapers and gathering advice from the many helpful individuals in this community.  With that in mind forgive me for any newbie mistakes J  Thanks again and on that note, I hope one day to be as useful as many of you already are.

Ok so here is the situation: I am planning an Active Directory 2k and Exchange 2k upgrade to 2k3.  Our servers are named after Greek / Roman Gods hence the subject.

I have 2 DC’s Ceres and Hades (also the Exchange server) and a third new server running server 2k3 (Server3 – currently unnamed) which shall replace the DC Ceres.  I plan to do an in place upgrade of Exchange on Hades, join Server3 to the domain install Exchange 2k3 move all the mail boxes, public folders and system folders then demote Hades remove it from the domain, rebuild it with 2003 and rejoin it again and dcpromo.  Finally I will demote, remove Ceres and bin it (its very old :p) .  Ok so maybe I have simplified this a bit but you get the general idea, enough to answer my question.

My question is..  Can I use the name Hades again when it is rebuilt and re-made a DC?  I presume if the name Ceres is given to another box it wont matter unless that box goes on to become a DC too.

I know the answer to the above is yes but it requires some tweaking using ADSIedit.  This is the part I don’t know.   What needs to be changed and what precautions can I take before making this change to ensure I won’t mess it up?

Oh and Don’t worry I am doing this on Virtual’s at the moment and will do multiple full backups on the live systems before I start this :p

Thanks

Steven Johnston