Joe, Tomasz -

Yep, you're right that it may tend to show a bad precedent for people to follow. I haven't taken a look at these particular labs (and having just come back from a long hiatus, I didn't see the referenced lab) but is the guidance there as to what Best or Preferred Practices SHOULD BE?

If not - I find that the bigger problem than the fact that self-certs are being used at all.

Rick

From: Tomasz Onyszko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] ADFS and certs
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:21:53 +0200

Joe Kaplan wrote:

(...)
> I also think the ADFS step by step guide leads people down a dark
> path, in that all the demos are set up with selfssl and self-issued
> certs, which are ok for demos, but not cool for production (IMO)
(...)

Will jump with few word from myself again - I can agree on Your point regarding step by step in 100%. When I've tried to setup my first ADFS lab I've decided to use Windows 2003 CA instead of Self issued certs and for me it was far more natural way to use ADFS than this not-realistic SelfSSL scenario, which may be confusing for users. I've exchanged e-mail with peoples on internal mailing list few times about it and one good information is that this point was taken and updated version of step by step document for ADFS should be better on this.

--
Tomasz Onyszko
http://www.w2k.pl/ - (PL)