Thanks for the reply.  I appreciate it.  Is it safe for me to assume that the only consideration in doing this is the token size?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Coleman, Hunter
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 9:24 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Switching distibution lists to security groups

Rob-

This came up just the other day. Check http://www.mail-archive.com/activedir@mail.activedir.org/msg47273.html and see if the responses there help.

Hunter

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Huber, Rob (HNI Corp)
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 8:10 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org

Hello,

This may be an easy answer, but I want to get feedback anyway.  What are the potential problems/issues/concerns with switching distribution groups to security groups?  Our Sharepoint group has rolled out Sharepoint site permissions based on DLs.  I believe that DLs should be used for DLs and security groups should be used for security (or permissions in this case) and have encouraged them to set the permissions accordingly.  Their counter is that the site owners do not know the membership of the security groups, but know the membership of their respective groups DLs and therefore it is easier to administrate the permissions that way.  A simple fix would be to switch the DLs to security groups, however that seams a bit too simple.