And what does it actually do with all the changed AD objects?

________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of De Potter
Vincent
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 12:29 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Pointsec software vs. Active Directory

Hi Gil,

No it's running on a dedicated server targeting that DC. Authentication
from the softwares' service account is quite numerous let's say :-)
THere's enough LDAP activity but not in an expensive way. This is what
it does :

        The ADScanner uses the ADSI (Active Directory Services
Interface) and LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) when
searching for changes (default port 389) in a Domain. The ADScanner
works with USN (update sequence number) queries using the uSNChanged
attribute. It uses the uSNChanged attribute of an AD object to retrieve
changes. When an AD object is modified on a domain controller, it sets
the uSNChanged of the object to a value that is larger than the value of
the uSNChanged attribute for all other objects held on that domain
controller. The object with the highest value of the uSNChanged
attribute is then the most recently changed object on the domain
controller. The domain controller holds the highest uSNChanged value in
the highestCommittedUSN attribute.