From:                   Matthew Keene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> There seem to be quite a lot of modules missing from the PPMPackage
> list for the 8xx builds (from
> http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackages/zips/8xx-builds-only/Windows/).
>  I'm specifically looking for DBD::Oracle(8), but there are 3448
> packages available for 6xx but only 2514 available for 8xx.  Can
> somebody explain what the difficulty is in making these packages
> available for Perl 5.8 ?  Are the 8xx packages limited to those known
> to be thread-safe, and does this explain all the differences ?  (I'm
> hap py to be patient for them to become available, I'm just curious as
> to what the problems are.)

There had been a discussion about this in this mailing list recently
(or maybe it was in Perl-win32-Users or someplace like that, but I
believe it was here) which may be found in the archives at
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/ and there is now a new
mailinglist specifically for PPM related issues at
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Browse/Threaded/ppm

As Jan Dubois said the automated build process needs some work. But
he's working on that and it should soon get much better :-)

Jenda
P.S.: You may want to add a few more repositories:
        http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz/perl
        http://crazyinsomniac.perlmonk.org/perl/ppm/5.8
        http://www.roth.net/perl/packages
        http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms