On 02/19/2012 23:04, John DePasquale wrote:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > I am unable to get a full file name ( including path ) from a form. I’m
 > using <input id="filename" type="file" name="filename"> in the form.
 >
 > In the perl code I’ve tried using both of the following:
 >
 > 1:
 >
 > my $cFile = substr( CGI::param( 'filename' ), 0, 100 );
 >
 > 2:
 >
 > my $cgi = new CGI();
 >
 > my $cFile = $cgi->param('filename');
 >
 > the html presents me with a “browse” button, and when I select a file via
 > the browse I end up with the string c:\images\file.jpg in the input box.
 >
 > However, I only get file.jpg assigned to the variable $cFile. I am unable to
 > acquire the entire value ( i.e. c:\images\file.jpg ), even though that
 > entire string is appearing in the input box after the file is selected via
 > the browse button. I’m guessing I’m missing something simple and I’ve tried
 > to track down an answer, but I’m stuck. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Are you doing a file upload ?  If so, you don't need the path.

If not, you're cheating by using the 'file' input type which was
added to handle file uploads.  ;)

You can get around it by using a 'text' input type to pass the
full path, but you would need to type it all in.  But my guess
is you want that browse feature.

A sneaky way around it might help - make another form on the
page that just does the browse part and cut-n-paste the path
from that box to the text box (remember I didn't make such a
stupid suggestion and I'm not even sure if the full path appears
in the box).  :)