On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 11:59:53PM +0200, Tzahi Fadida wrote:
> but if greatbridge which answers to the call postgresql.org didn't manage to get big
>contracts, why do
> u think redhat will, when they charge thousands of dollars for the same services.
> My guess is that redhat will drop the database thing or at least change its business
>plan regarding it.
> fact is, that oracle is better than postgresql in about 20% and its more common, in
>addition if u r a serious
> business, you will use oracle's more specialized areas where they definetly rule
>supreme like clustering, backup servers, reliablility, faster with operations with
>network appliances, and countless stuff that a billion dollar company is a position
>to offer.
> no small business will pay thousands of dollars for support, and no medium business
>is going to use postgresql where it probably has legacy databases like informix,
>cobol, etc... or for newer medium business there are complete solutions like the
>german Sap and many others which simplifies the problems. and as for the big guns,
>they usually buys the best.

Actually I think Red Hat have a pretty reasonable plan. Consider that
there are still a lot of new installations and new projects, and a lot
old installations and projects looking to change their databases for
various reasons. Oracle is very costly; managing PostgreSQL all by
yourself is difficult if you don't have the expertise. A few thousand
dollars is very cheap, and might be buying for the project much more
than that sum. So why not RHDB?

Also, Red Hat is by now a well recognized brand name, and a lot of
cost-aware projects choose to use the product and the services.
Integration of components from various vendors is cost- and
time-consuming, and you can't really know in advance it will WORK
the way you want it, can you? So if you're already using Red Hat
Linux or Red Hat's Stronghold, and are looking for a database to
complement your Red Hat installations, why not RHDB?

Really, as I see it, Red Hat have same unique advantage in the
database market as they have in the UNIX market, and that is that
they offer perhaps a slightly less complete product for a LOT less
outrageous price. It's not perfect for all projects, but it fits
very well for many. Remember that they Red Hat did not invent
PostgreSQL, do not have to fund the majority of its R&D, and even
PostgreSQL's brand name is already partly established. They can
afford to charge less because they have less expenses.

[troll disregarded]