On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 09:12:44AM +0200, Ishai Parasol wrote:
> Hi
>
> A basic question about firewall: If I'm running a firewall and a gateway and
> a server (web, mail, etc.) on the same box are the firewall's rules apllying
> only to the other computers in the network or they're also good for the
> firewall's box itself ?

ObWarn: This is not a recommended set up in most sitations.

The answer would depend -- at least in ipchains, you can set up
filtering rules for incoming, forwarded and outgoing packets. You
can set up the rules according to what you need. I suggest reading
the relevant HOWTOs (I find them rather good) for more details.