On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 07:01:46PM +0200, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> Donno if you read the digest (I'm subscribed to the lists) - but the
> flamewars have been ended. License stays as it is.

That was the final resolution, for now, but the fact is that the
issue did arise, i.e. a lot of developers felt the need for a
license change. You do /not/ see this on Apache, for example,
and certainly not on BSD, or on X11 (not that I know of, that is).
Wine is the only mature project I know whose license is
controvertial. I wonder what makes it different. Probably related to
them having many proprietary forks, but you don't see Apache having
those. Is it because Wine is an end-user product? Or is it a cultural
thing, with Windows culture influencing towards having less against
proprietary forks?