On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 03:27:18PM +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On 14 Jan 2002, Erez Doron wrote:
>
> > hi
> >
> > when i do 'ls -l' , i get the file modification time
> > how do i get file creation time ?

I don't think ls or any other tool can give you this information.
Creation time is not one of the metadata kept about files. Ext2fs or
Reiserfs might or might not have special features, but these would
be filesystem specific.

man ls to see which time information you can receive, though.

> Try using 'find' instead of 'ls'. The option -printf is very powerful.
>
> I'm not sure, though, how to list only the files in the current directory,
> and not in subdirectories.

-maxdepth (nonportable, but then again so is -printf...)

> For a light abuse of this feature of find, see
> http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir/Packages/mk_index.sh

Nice... That's not abuse, that's the cleanest way to do it in shell
CGI IMHO. Also check out the nonportable stat(1)...