On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 01:24:34PM +0200, Omer Zak wrote:
> The differences, relative to today's 2.(2n).* vs. 2.(2n+1).* approach
> would be:
> 1. At any moment of time, there will be both stabilizing and development
>    kernels at the bleeding edge.
> 2. Linus will concern himself only with development kernels.

Linus said "I suck at maintainance", and expressed hope that Marcelo
would do it better. So it we are already on the right path... IIRC
Linus usually gives two reasons for why he wants the unstable kernel
to stabilize a bit before starting a new unstable tree: one is that
he doesn't want to divert developer attention away from the
stablizing kernel to the new one too soon, and the second is that
Linus thinks it's important for the new kernel to start from a well
known and well understood state, which can only be achieved by a
relatively long testing and stabilization process.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if Linus limits
himself to the role of "architect" like he hinted.