On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 01:42:03PM +0200, Erez Doron wrote:
> I'm trying to create a ram disk which is not erased by reboot,

Won't work, unless you copy all of its contents into a permenant
medium before shutdown and load it back into RAM when you load up.
I can't see the point of doing this because you might as well use
a regular filesystem on disk and have the kernel cache it. That
should be fast enough for all general purposes.

Alternatively, you can use a regular RAM disk, and have a script
in /etc/init.d tar it up (or dd it) on shutdown and refill it from
the saved archive on startup.

> for instance, if i have 512M ram, i want to do mem=500m and use the remaining 12m
> for ramdisk.
>
> I have already written the kernel module for it, but the problem is that when i
> access the upper 12m with __pa(addr), i get a kernel oops ...

Why can't you just allocate the memory? Must it be the upper 12M?