On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 02:20:37PM +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> BTW: there is a little "non-free" license issue with BitKeeper. From what
> I understand, the license of BitKeeper is basicaly a free license, but
> requires that you preserve one feature: logging to a certain main
> reposirtory. I wasn't able to figure out what happens if your system is
> not connected to the internet (or, OTOH, if it is maliciously tricked to
> believe that this main server is unavailable).
>
> Anyway, kernel people use it, so people probably don't care.

Linus doesn't care, but Linus never had any ideological or even
practical issues with proprietary software. But a lot of other people
do have problems; for instance, Alan Cox vowed never to use it for as
long as it's not Free Software. Linus replied that if he ever switches
to BitKeeper (that was a few years ago) he will not make anyone else
to use it too and will continue to accept patches by email in addition
to BitKeeper.

It bother /me/, though, especially as I can't see much commercial gain
Larry Mcvoy can get by those restrictions. If there was a big cryout
over it he might have relaxed the terms, but it looks like there's not
going to be. Even RMS hasn't issued a statement. Oh well.