On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 08:04:19AM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> I always considered Run Level 5 as a very bad idea, which I'll never want
> to use. However, I recently run into a dillema here at the Computer
> Networks farm. If I start X from the console and lock it, then a malicious
> user can switch to the console from which it was invoked, press Ctrl+C or
> Ctrl+Z and gain my permissions.
>
> Naturally, there are ways to overcome it:

Oh, just use "exec startx" instead of "startx", and the attacker will
have no login shell left to attack.

"startx >startx.log 2>&1 </dev/null & exit" if you don't want to leave
startx on the tty either. That is sort of what xdm does, too.

I love it when seemingly complicated problems can be solved with basic
UNIX concepts :)