We opened a ticket related to long replication times in a container pool after
replication takes place, and got an answer that 'we can recreate your problem
but it is likely working as designed' even though it's contrary to
documentation.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

-Two TSM servers at 7.1.5
-Single client going to a single container.  Client backs up 12TB a night and
after dedupe/compression, we see a 1TB change rate (approximately).
-Once the backup is complete, we run a protect pool.  It's expected that this
process will ship 1TB to the DR site.  -Protect completes successfully.
-a replnode is issued against the node and TSM spends the next 4 hours
replicating data to the DR site

Support confirmed that the amount of data replicated in a replnode command is
the same, regardless of the protect pool command status.  However, the
documentation leads me to be that if you have already protected the pool, the
replnode should be a metadata only transfer.

So while we are able to transfer and complete the processes, it seems to 'cost'
us quite a bit in both IO and WAN usage to do so using containers, defeating
the point of using containers to reduce replication costs.  Any ideas as to
what is going on?

David Nixon
Storage Engineer II
Technology Services Group
Carilion Clinic
451 Kimball Ave.
Roanoke, VA 24015
Phone: 540-224-3903
cdni...@carilionclinic.org

Our mission: Improve the health of the communities we serve.

________________________________

Notice: The information and attachment(s) contained in this communication are
intended for the addressee only, and may be confidential and/or legally
privileged. If you have received this communication in error, please contact
the sender immediately, and delete this communication from any computer or
network system. Any interception, review, printing, copying, re-transmission,
dissemination, or other use of, or taking of any action upon this information
by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited
by law and may subject them to criminal or civil liability. Carilion Clinic
shall not be liable for the improper and/or incomplete transmission of the
information contained in this communication or for any delay in its receipt.