Hi Erik,

Looking at your option set INCLEXCL statements, at least part of the binding
problem looks to be the sequence of statements:

  INCLEXCL 0 Yes     INCLUDE.BACKUP     d:\MSP\...\*.* BA7Y_L
  INCLEXCL 1 Yes     INCLUDE.BACKUP     d:\FTPDATA\sapdw\...\*.* BA7Y_L
  INCLEXCL 2 Yes     INCLUDE.BACKUP     d:\FTPDATA\workathome\...\*.* BA7Y_L
  INCLEXCL 3 Yes     include.backup     d:\...\*.* BA14_L
  INCLEXCL 4 Yes     include.backup     c:\...\*.* BA14_L

(note: The FORCE option is ignored for INCLEXCL.)

The above include-exclude statements are processed from the bottom up, the same
as if you put them in your dsm.opt file. For example, a file such as
"D:\FTPDATA\sapdw\somefile.txt" matches the pattern "d:\...\*.*", so it is
bound to BA14_L. You can fix this by resequencing the INCLEXCL options in the
client option set. For example:

  update clientopt mpsserver inclexcl 0 5
  update clientopt mpsserver inclexcl 1 6
  update clientopt mpsserver inclexcl 2 7

Thus the new sequence is:

  include.backup d:\...\*.* BA14_L
  include.backup c:\...\*.* BA14_L
  INCLUDE.BACKUP d:\MSP\...\*.* BA7Y_L
  INCLUDE.BACKUP d:\FTPDATA\sapdw\...\*.* BA7Y_L
  INCLUDE.BACKUP d:\FTPDATA\workathome\...\*.* BA7Y_L

Note that if you run "dsmc query inclexcl", the include-exclude list is
displayed in inverted order (don't ask me why...), so patterns closer to the
top of the displayed list are matched first.

One more observation: The "*.*" pattern means "match any file name with a dot (
. ) character in the name. Thus files with no extension, though not so common
on Windows, do not match the "*.*" pattern. In general, it is best to use "*"
to refer to any file name... unless you really mean to include only files that
have a dot in the name.

To augment this comment from Josh-Daniel Davis:

> * Directories always are bound to the longest retention management class
> unless you use DIRMC to override it.

Specifically, it is the management class with the longest RETONLY setting. If
more than one management class has the same (highest) RETONLY setting, then the
management class name that is last in ascending sort order is the default
DIRMC. For example, if you have two management classes named DISK and TAPE, and
they both have the same highest RETONLY setting of all the management classes,
then the default DIRMC is TAPE.

You probably are not doing this, but I will mention it anyway, for
completeness: When you do incremental backups, do NOT do this:

   dsmc incremental c:\* -subdir=yes

Instead, use the idiomatic file system specification for full incremental:

  dsmc incremental c:

Regards,

Andy

Andrew Raibeck