This warning is a "new" feature of vSphere 5.x -- prior to 5, you would not
get any alert about consolidation being needed.  It's possible this was
happening before and you just didn't know it...?

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2003638

Did your site recently upgrade to 5.5?  Personally, I didn't see these at
5.0 and now at 5.1 see these messages infrequently -- my current theory (at
least for my site) is that this happens when an image/snapshot backup job
is disturbed somehow, for example by a momentary interruption of network
traffic.

Best regards,

Mike
RMD IT, x7942