OK, I've contacted the group responsible for Press Releases at ASF and they gave us the guidelines which you can find below.

Now, I really have to concentrate on finishing the remaining bits of mp2, unless we want this to drag for another few months. It's been a few days already that I manage to write not a single line of code, and just answering emails all day long. So if someone could volunteer to lead the effort of satisfying the listed below requirements and prepare the press release, that would be really helpful.

Thank you.

------------------

     From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
       To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
       Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Subject: How to work with the PRC to issue Press Releases
     Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:13:37 -0700 (PDT)

How to work with the PRC to issue a press release.  We are here to
help the PMCs, but in order for us to help you effectively, we would
like you to follow these general guidelines.

Audience: Any PMC who wants to issue a press release or generate media
coverage of a newsworthy event.

Overall Steps / Timeline:

1.      In order to maximize the impact and effectiveness of press
announcements (also called "return on investment") the PRC normally
requires a MINIMUM of 2 weeks notice prior to each announcement. This
time is used to carry out all of the groundwork required to achieve as
large an impact as possible from a release. This means that from the
date you begin working with us, the PRC, to the date that you want
your release to hit the wire, we need a 2 week window.  If the release
addresses urgent information (e.g a security problem and related patch
or release) then the PRC can arrange such releases on a much quicker
schedule.  Also, if your PMC decides to independently complete any of
the steps on its own (such as Step 5, the most time consuming step),
then our PRC turnaround time will be correlatively shorter.

2.      For a successful release, try to think of your announcement in
terms of telling a story (also called "a pitch"). Like any truly
compelling story, it should have certain key elements to grab and keep
your audience's attention. To help you order your thoughts and allow
the PRC to help in this process, the Press Release Questionnaire has
been created. This should be filled out and emailed to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> .  You can solicit the PRC's assistance in
devising the overall "pitch" or story for your release. Just let us
know how much help you will need and we can brainstorm story ideas
with you.

3.      The PRC can work with you to create a press release, to whatever
extent necessary. For example, the PRC is happy to help you write the
first draft, structure your ideas, or just edit your drafts. The PRC
can also contact people and garner quotes suitable for inclusion if
this is required.  Draft versions of releases can be submitted with
the Press Release Questionnaire.

4.      The PRC will promote your release to the media by initiating
dialogue with contacts in the media, whether supplied by your group,
known to the PRC, or both. The intent is to allow the contacts to
prepare stories (also called "seeding stories"), talk to the release
contacts (typically ASF representatives) and carry out any background
research so that when the release hits the wire it will prompt a
number of fast, knowledgeable responses and/or stories. This is the
longest stage of the entire process and can be omitted if the release
is urgent. However, this is the most valuable stage of the process, as
it allows us to generate interest in your story prior to the issue of
a release.  The more time we can spend on generating pre-release
interest, the more media impact and coverage your story will have on
the actual date of the release.  Also, this step plays an important
role in building better relationships with media and analyst contacts,
a step that is critical in strengthening the ASF brand.

5.      The PRC has access to a range of news bureaus (also called "wire
services") and will choose the most appropriate venues for your
release.  If your group has specific requests or resources available
then details should be provided to the PRC so these can be
used. Additionally the announcement will be sent to all relevant
announcement mailing lists known to the PRC and your PR will be linked
to from the PRC or ASF home page. If there is extraordinary (national,
international, or otherwise significant) news coverage of your PR
event, the PRC would also like to link to those news articles from our
(home) page.

Press Release Questionnaire:

1.      What do you need from the PRC? Be specific. Do you need help
coming up with ideas for a story? Do you need help drafting the
release? Help with generating pre-release interest from the media?
Help putting the release on the wire?

2.      What are you trying to accomplish with this release? Announce a
new product? Make a position statement? Why will the public care about
what you have to say? Think about this carefully - because this will
impact what content we present and how we present it.  Answer the
following for us (as clearly and without jargon as possible).

a.      My release is important because:

     i.      X
     ii.     Y
     iii.    Z

b.      Reasons why people will care about this release:

     i.      A
     ii.     B
     iii.    C

3.      Who is the audience? Who are you trying to communicate with?
After all, a press release is a codified method of communicating with
a large audience.  Are you targeting business media? Business decision
makers?  End Users? Tech Developers?  Answering this question as
thoroughly as you can is important because it will help us tailor the
appropriate message for your target audience. What are your metrics
for judging the success of this release? (I.e. If 3 major tech
websites pick this up, it will be successful.  If 2 major business
papers pick this up it will be successful. If our web page hits go up
by 50%, etc.)

4.      What timeframe are you looking at? Is there an absolutely rigid
date?  (I.e. Coinciding with a conference, or a release date) If so,
please let us know.  If your timeframe is more flexible, inform us of
that as well. In fact, if you have a release idea that is very
'general' and not tied to any fixed event (i.e. A general position
statement on the state of your industry/category), we're still happy
to work with you.

5.      Are there quotes you would like to have represented in the
release?  We can help you contact the people you would want to have
quoted, and work on drafting these quotes.

6.      Has your PMC talked with press in the past that were interested
in your project? Give us a list of these names, if available, and we
will contact them for you.

7.      Finally, who do you want to be the primary contacts for this
release?  There may be media who want to ask follow up
questions. Please provide us with name, title, short bio, email, and
phone number.

--
Susan Wu
PRC Committee

-- __________________________________________________________________ Stas Bekman JAm_pH ------> Just Another mod_perl Hacker http://stason.org/ mod_perl Guide ---> http://perl.apache.org mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://use.perl.org http://apacheweek.com http://modperlbook.org http://apache.org http://ticketmaster.com