Stas> Unfortunately thanks to Randal, people are now totally confused.

No, I think thanks to me, people are now aware of a problem of
fundamental incompatibility between the "single @INC" historical
legacy of the entire Perl world and toolchain, and your "use Apache2"
workaround.  There's awareness, not confusion.  I think *you* are
trying to confuse the issue by saying there's not a single thing wrong
with your proposed release of MP2.  Yes, there wouldn't be, if the
entire rest of the world was compatible with it, which it isn't.

Here are some possible scenarios:

1) you don't budge, CPAN doesn't change, and people around the world
get confused with your release, because it's asking them to "upgrade"
their mp1 by installing mp2, which *cannot* be done.

2) you don't budge, the rest of the world changes, toolsets get altered,
everyone upgrades their tools just to avoid #1.  I think this is
what you want, but a lot of resources and a lot of people have to bend
to your beck and call to make this happen, and it's not gonna happen
by mid January.

3) you don't release mp2 to the CPAN except as an "experimental" version
number, which avoids indexing, and people who want it can ask for it
by name directly, not via "install mod_perl".

4) you figure out how to rename all mp2 modules that aren't upward
implementation compatible with mp1 to a new namespace, and release
that like any of the other 72,000 modules on the CPAN.

5) something else entirely.

I'm just saying that #1 and #2 are both unacceptable to me.  I think
it's also unacceptable to a lot of others.  So we need to look at #3,
#4, and #5.

Now, if everyone involved agrees that #1 or #2 are workable, that's
fine too.  But I want this to be a community decision, not just "Stas
forcing pollution into everyone else's lives".