[ I've redirected this conversation to advocacy;
  please omit perl5-porters from any further responses ]

On Aug 12, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Will GCC drop support for SCO in future releases?

    I don't know.  But, as is pointed out in the URL you quote below,
much of the hardship if support were dropped would not fall on SCO,
but rather on users of SCO.

> Should Perl do the same?

    Absolutely not.  Perl supports defunct operating systems, buggy
operating systems, commercial operating systems, and poorly marketed
operating systems.  It would be inappropropriate to drop SCO just
because it happens to be all of the above.

> Possibly off topic, but is this food for thought for all Open Source, (and
> affiliated), groups in a kind of 'vote with your feet' manner?
>
>       http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2003-08/msg00191.html
>
> Apart from legal action (which only benefits lawyers), it's possibly the most
> effective way of making a commercial organisation sit up and take notice.
> Particularly if many groups do it all at once, and do not just abandon the others to
> to a solitary stance.
>
> United we stand, and all that...

    Perl is an Open Source product.  It's not sponsored by a Free
Software organization.  I don't think that it would be seemly to
back-door a Free Software agenda into every Perl shop on the planet.

    Thanks for bringing up the issue.  I've said my piece.

    - Kurt