On 07/02/13 13:49, Shlomi Fish wrote:
Before I answer your question, let me add that I think we should train
potential female (and male) contributors to not give up so easily after running
into a potential difficulty.

I have no idea how you "train" potential contributors to not give up but you don't do it by being an arse. Studies show that boys are encouraged to keep trying, and girls are often told "oh, let me do it for you" from very, very young ages. That seems like training potential female contributors to give up and after a lifetime of that kind of training I don't see it as very surprising that some women are likely to stumble and give up rather than be tenacious. Sad, but not surprising.

However, having said that, we're not held to what we learned as children. There are many professions which require tenacity, such as athletics, law, business management...; and so women can and do learn such skills. It's just worth understanding that some women are coming into learning such skills at a disadvantage to those men who were lucky enough to be taught them for the majority of their lives.

There's another key difference that should be recognised, and the situation isn't that there is a dire shortage of women who know Perl (25-30% of Perl programmers out in business), there's a dire shortage of women involved in the Perl community. (between 2 and 6%) The tenacious women are learning Perl, they're just doing so for work. *Not for fun. *

I suspect that when there are people who are approaching the Perl community in an attempt to try to learn to program, or who already know how to program and want to learn Perl, we have to *compete with other **fun**pursuits.* When the few bad apples in the community are allowed to behave badly towards them, that's not fun. *If learning Perl isn't **fun**, they won't stay.* Why would they? There are other, more fun things to do than be insulted, treated badly, harassed or otherwise in pursuit of something you thought could be cool. This is a problem for Perl and, in my opinion, for programming in general - *programming is not competing as well against **other fun pursuits*.

It's also worth noting that when people flame others on mailing lists, or abuse others in IRC channels, active contributors also go away. You can lose up to 25% of your project just from one long flame-war. *People are in open source for fun*. Take the fun away, make it worse than work, and lots of them won't stay. It's easy to find entertainment on line these days that doesn't involve dealing with people who are being arses.

Telling people that they have to have a thick skin, in order to have fun, will not work into the future. Knowing Perl or being a developer in a lot of open source is no longer enough of a hallowed destination that it's sufficient reward for weathering the abuse between newbie and achievement. Perl (and a lot of open source) needs new developers more than it needs developers with thick skins. *Getting a thick skin isn't fun.* It doesn't matter what you had to go through.

It's inevitable to face hardship and abuse, because even I, as a guy, faced
them, and still do, and have to know how to overcome them.

Yes, men face abuse too. The abuse men face is rarely gendered. Women may face worse abuse if their gender is known than you likely have any idea about. Regardless, strangely enough, *abuse is not fun* regardless of your gender. Some people will stick through it, but I can't blame the people who don't.

I think trying to restructure a so-called-hostile community is like making the
mountain come to Muhammad. On the other hand, a single motivated person with
some amount of creative thinking, and who is not willing to give up can make a
world of a difference.

*Hostile communities are not fun* for people who don't want to show off how much of an arse they can be. If we want people to come to learn Perl and participate in the Perl community, because *Perl is fun* (and as a language I really believe it is) then we need to make sure that*participating in the Perl community is fun*. Or at least we need to make sure that participating doesn't suck.

Yes, individual motivated people can change things, they do all the time. People who stand against hostile behaviour and work to welcome and encourage all potential contributors are changing things. People who encourage involvement and shared decision making are changing things. People who make sure that their actions are*increasing the level of fun* rather than sucking it out, are changing things.

On Thu, 07 Feb 2013 11:54:29 +1100