*

* * * Ruby Falls is a 145-foot high underground waterfall located within
LookoutMoutain, near Rock City and Chattanooga,Tennessee in the United
States.The cave which houses Ruby Falls was formed with the formation of
Lookout Mountain. About 200 to 240 million years ago (in the Carboniferous
period, at the end of the Paleozoic era) the eastern Tennessee area was
covered with a shallow sea, the sediments of which eventually formed
limestone rock. About 200 million years ago, this area was uplifted and
subsequent erosion has created the current topography. The limestone in
which the cave is formed is still relatively horizontal, just as it was
deposited when it was below sea level.

The Lookout Mountain Caverns, which includes Ruby Falls Cave, is a
limestone cave. These caves occur when slightly acidic groundwater enters
subterranean streams and eats away at the relatively soft limestone,
causing narrow cracks to widen into passages and caves in a process called
chemical weathering. The stream which makes up the Falls entered the cave
sometime after its formation.

The Falls are located at the end of the main passage of Ruby Falls Cave, in
a large vertical shaft. The stream, 1120 feet underground, is fed both by
rainwater and natural springs. It collects in a pool in the cave floor and
then continues through the mountain until finally joining the Tennessee
River at the base of Lookout Mountain.While Ruby Falls Cave combines with
Lookout Mountain Cave to form the Lookout Mountain Caverns, the two caves
were not actually connected by any passage. Ruby Falls Cave is the upper of
the two and contains a variety of geological formations and curiosities
which Lookout Mountain Cave does not have.

Electric lights were installed in the cave, making it one of the first
commercial caves to be so outfitted. Motorists travelling on I-75 in the
70's were subjected to dozens - maybe hundreds - of billboards along their
route with the words "VISIT RUBY FALLS" beginning hundreds of miles north
and south of the falls itself. Ruby Falls remains a staple of Chattanooga
tourism, operating daily. Ruby Falls is owned by the Steiner family of
Chattanooga, Tennessee.

*   * *

--
*".... I am the KING to my own UNIVERSE that Rule my MIND, BODY and
SOUL!!! ...."

you have this email because you join to "aga-madjid" GoogleGroups.
to post emails, just send to :
aga-madjid@googlegroups.com
to join this group, send blank email to :
aga-madjid+subscr...@googlegroups.com
to quit from this group, just send email to :
aga-madjid+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
please visit to www.facebook.com/aga.madjid,
add my Yahoo Messenger at aga.mad...@yahoo.com or
add my twitter @aga_madjid