John,

You brought up some interesting points...

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 10:54 PM, John G. Rose <johnr...@polyplexic.com>wrote:

> [...]

There seems to be no clear boundary between clichés and other stupid
statements, except maybe that clichés are exactly quoted like "that's just
your opinion" while other statements are grammatically adapted to fit the
sentences and paragraphs that they inhabit.

Dr. Eliza already translates idioms before processing. I could add clichés
without changing a line of code, e.g. "that's just your opinion" might
translate into something like "I am too stupid to to understand your
explanation".

Dr. Eliza has an extensive wildcard handler, so it should be able to handle
the majority of grammatically adapted statements in the same way, by simply
including appropriate wildcards in the pattern.

are like local K
> complexity minima, in a knowledge graph of partial linguistic structure,
> where neural computational energy is preserved, and the statements are
> patterns with isomorphisms to other experiential knowledge intra and inter
> agent.

That is, other illogical misunderstanding of the real world, which are
probably NOT shared with more intelligent agents. This present a serious
problem with understanding by more intelligent agents.

More intelligent agents have ways of working more optimally with the
> neural computational energy, perhaps by using other more efficient patterns
> thus avoiding those particular detrimental pattern/statements.

... and this present a communications problem with agents with radically
different intelligences, both greater and lesser.

> But the
> statements are catchy because they are common and allow some minimization
> of
> computational energy as well as they are like objects in a higher level
> communication protocol. To store them is less bits and transfer is less
> bits
> per second.

However, they have negative information content - if that is possible,
because they require a false model of the world to process, and produce
completely erroneous results. Of course, despite these problems, they DO
somewhat accurately communicate the erroneous nature of the thinking, so
there IS some value there.

> Their impact is maximal since they are isomorphic across
> knowledge and experience.

... the ultimate being: Do, or do not. There is no "try".

> At some point they may just become symbols due to
> their pre-calculated commonness.

Egad, symbols to display stupidity. Could linguistics have anything that is
WORSE?!

> > Language is both intelligence enhancing and limiting. Human language is a
> > protocol between agents. So there is minimalist data transfer, "I had no
> > choice but to ..." is a compressed summary of potentially vastly complex
> > issues.
> >
> > My point is that they could have left the country, killed their
> adversaries,
> > taken on a new ID, or done any number of radical things that they
> probably
> > never considered, other than taking whatever action they chose to take. A
> > more accurate statement might be "I had no apparent rational choice but
> > ...".
>
> The other low probability choices are lossily compressed out of the
> expressed statement pattern. It's assumed that there were other choices,
> usually factored in during the communicational complexity related
> decompression, being situational. The onus at times is on the person
> listening to the stupid statement.

I see. This example was in reality a "gapped" or "ellipsis", where
reasonably presumed words were omitted. These are always a challenge, except
in common places like clichés where the missing words can be automatically
inserted.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Steve