Ben,

Dr. Eliza with the Gracie interface to Dragon NaturallySpeaking makes a
really spectacular speech I/O demo - when it works, which is ~50% of the
time. The other 50% of the time, it fails to recognize enough to run with,
misses something critical, etc., and just sounds stupid, kinda like most
doctors I know. Even when it fails, it still babbles on with domain-specific
comments.

Results are MUCH better when a person with speech I/O and chronic illness
experience operates it.

Note that Gracie handles interruptions and other violations of
conversational structure. Further, it speaks in 3 voices, one for the
expert, one for the assistant, and one for the environment and OS.

Note that the Microsoft standard speech I/O has a mouth control that moves
simultaneously with the sound, that is pasted on an egghead face, so you can
watch it speak.

Note that the speech recognition works AMAZINGLY well, because the ONLY
thing it is interested in are long technical words and relevant phrases, and
NOT in the short connecting words that are what usually gets messed up. When
you watch what was recognized during casual conversation, what you typically
see is gobbledygook between the important stuff, which comes shining
through.

There are plans to greatly enhance all this, but like everything else on
this forum, it suffers from inadequate resources. If someone is looking for
something that is demonstrable right now to throw even modest resources
into...

That program was then adapted to a web server by adding logic to sense when
it was on a server, whereupon some additional buttons appear to operate and
debug it in a server environment. That adapted program is now up and
running, without any of the speech I/O stuff, on http://www.DrEliza.com.

I know, it isn't AGI, but neither is anything else these days.

Any interest?

Steve