Ben/Bill,

My feeling is that goals and ethics are not identical concepts.  And I
would think that goals would only make an intentional ethical
contribution if they related to the empathetic consideration of others.

So whether ethics are built in from the start in the Novamente
architecture depends on whether there are goals *with ethical purposes*
included from the start.

And whether the ethical system is *adequate* from the start would
depend on the specific content of the ethically related goals and the
resourcing and sophistication of effort that the AGI architecture directs
at understanding and the acting on the implications of the goals vis-a-
vis any other activity that the AGI engages in.  I think the adequacy of
the ethics system also depends on how well the architecture helps the
AGI to learn about ethics.  If it a slow learner then the fact that it has
machinery there to handle what it eventually learns is great but not
sufficient.

Cheers, Philip

please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?[EMAIL PROTECTED]