Eliezer,

I think the best thing to do, if you wanted to monetize a
pattern-recognizing AGI but didn't want to start a "real business" yourself,
would be to hire a single business development person and a single "computer
scientist consultant" and have them help you set up partnership deals with
existing companies.

This could bring you a LOT of revenue streams from a lot of different
markets, IF you had a really kick-ass demonstration of your system's general
pattern-recognition ability.  If your different partners were in different
vertical markets, you could structure the licensing deals so that no one
stepped on anyone else's toes.  Then all you need is for one of them to
succeed big-time, and you've got it made.

Even financial prediction, to run it as a business yourself, requires a lot
of effort and business sense.  But partnering with an existing financial
prediction company and taking a % of the revenue, requires nothing but
signing a licensing agreement and providing their programmers with access to
your code and docs.  You just need an impressive enough demonstration of
your tech to wow them and get the deal.

The list of domain-specific companies you could partner with in this way is
endless.  Manufacturing (supply and demand prediction), insurance (risk
management), biotech (bio data analysis) .. I could list hundreds of
possibilities.

Yeah, OK, this is basically Novamente LLC's business model.  Except that we
don't have a real AGI yet, I'm the business development person (ugh), and
our first licensing deal is with Biomind LLC, a company that we (the
Novamente team) also cofounded ;-)

-- Ben