Ben,

> Ben: That paragraph gave one possible dynamic in a society of AGI's,
> but there are many many other possible social dynamics

Of course.  What you say is quite true.  But so what?

Let's go back to that one possible dynamic. Can't you bring yourself to agree that if a one-and-only super-AGI went feral that humans would then be at a greater disadvantage relative to it than if there was more than one AGI around and the humans could call on the help of one or more of the other AGIs??

Forget about all the other possible hypotheticals.  Is my assessment of the specific scenario above about right or not - doesn't it have some element of common sense about it?

If there is any benefit in having more than one AGI around in the case where an AGI does go feral then your comment "I'm just not so sure that there's any benefit to the "society of AGI" as opposed to "one big AGI" approach" no longer holds as an absolute.

It then gets back to ....having a society of AGIs might be an advantage in certain cercumstances, but having more than one AGI might have the following down sides.  At this point a balanced risk/benefit assessment can be made (not definitive of course since we haven't seen super-intelligent AGIs operation yet).  But at least we've got some relevant issues on the table to think about.

Cheers, Philip