arnoud:

a> On Sunday 14 September 2003 16:31, Cliff Stabbert wrote:
a>c>a> I don't quite follow this train of thought. Physicalism to me is
a>c>a> justified by the success of the natural sciences with their
a>c>a> materialist ontology of atoms, electrons, molecules and so on.
a>c>
a>c> It is entirely possible to use the scientific method and its fruits
a>c> without buying into physicalism as the be-all and end-all, materialism
a>c> as the ultimate ontology, etc.

a> But look at its fruits, all well established theories have a materialistic
a> ontology, with atoms, electrons, molecules, biological cels, quarks,
a> photons....

Yeah, about those photons.  Doesn't the strict materialist ontology
break down in the face of the wave/particle "conflict"?  Isn't a model
in which both the particle model and the wave model are seen *as*
models that work in different contexts, without necessarily
representing any kind of "ultimate truth", more consistently useful?
I was under the impression, perhaps mistakenly as I have no relevant
training nor do I follow the latest developments, that such a
"metamodel" was widely accepted as the scientific philosphic
perspective on things these days, i.e., we cannot presume, just because
we have some neat model that work *in all _currently_ known contexts*
that it represents the Real Underlying Truth.  The closer we seem to
get to that latter, the more it seems to recede / turn weird, from
what I can tell from this great distance.

In fact, the whole "our models must represent some Underlying
Ultiimate Truth, because they work" can be more clearly be shown as
the nonsense it is (yep, I'm being pretty blunt again) by considering
the history of those models, and the ever-changing ontology behind
them:
a) *obviously*, the sun is a disk that rises and falls.  Because
   that's what happens every day!  Q.E.D.
b) I mean, whoops, *obviously* the sun rotates around the earth.
   Because that's what happens every day!  Our model accurately
   predicts this, therefore that's the Real Truth!  Q.E.D.
c) OK, fine, so I screwed up again, I mean the earth rotates around
   the sun!  Should be pretty obvious.  Right?  BTWHEV!QED.
...or
a) Obviously Newton has figured out the ultimate nature of motion,
   acceleration, etc.  His model predicts things correctly every time,
   therefore his model must be True!
b) ...OK, sorry, Newton was sort of close but Einstein nailed it.
   Newton is good enough for government work as long as you don't go
   too fast, but isn't really The Hardcore Truth.  That would be
   Einstein's model.  Period.  This time I'm sure of it!
c) Etc.

Or am I missing where you've moved beyond this argument somehow?

--
Cliff