> Of course you have to specify exactly what an engineered set of dynamics
> do, including the dynamics that make up what is, from our perspective, a
> mind.  Who ever said otherwise?  Well, me.  But I now fully
> acknowledge my
> ancient position to have been incredibly, suicidally stupid.
> Eliezer S. Yudkowsky                          http://singinst.org/
> Research Fellow, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence

Hmmm....  Due to vagaries of natural langauge, I'm not entirely sure if I
agree with your new or your ancient position.

It seems to me that, in a self-organizing computational system,

-- "specifying exactly what a set of dynamics do" (as I interpret that
phrase)

is not the same as

-- "being able to predict exactly what consequences a set of dynamics will
lead to in various environmental circumstances"

The former is feasible, the latter is generally not.  In fact I suspect
that, for any system complex enough to deserve the name "mind," the latter
will be *profoundly* infeasible.  Some software programs are deterministic
enough that one can predict their reactions to various environmental
interactions and their evolution over time; minds are not that kind.

-- Ben