On Wed, 31 May 2006 11:24:00 -500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Do you have a projection of the optomistic and pesimistic times of when NM
will achieve Trans-Human intelligence?

The pessimistic time-frame is never... the optimistic time-frame is 2
years from now.

More meaningful intervals are as follows (pasted out of a recent presentation):

These are what I think we may be able to achieve IF the project gets
funded at a level of $500K/year, enabling us to hire a team of ~10
full-time technical staff.  This has not yet occurred.  Lacking this
proper level of staffing, things may take much longer and the whole
project may not complete.  I believe we have a workable AGI design but
there is plenty of work left to be done to get everything implemented,
get the "details" resolved and make it fully functional..

*****
2007: autonomous intelligent infant interacting spontaneously in a 3D
simulation world, communicating in simple English

2008-2009: young-child level (Piaget's concrete operational stage),
with the capability to carry out complex series of purposeful actions
and communicate in simple grammatical sentences

Toward the end of this stage, the spinning-off of a powerful,
profitable question-answering product becomes viable

2008-2012: embodied learning of complex language

2009-2014: Piaget's formal level, the ability to reason abstractly and
communicate in fully complex English

2010-?: Strongly self-modifying AI
******

To me the time estimates are NOT the important thing, though.  The
important thing is that we have a well-articulated, scientifically and
engineeringly sensible plan for getting from here to the grand
end-goal....  Estimating what is possible is one thing, estimating
when is another...

-- Ben

How long before NM gets to first grade?

12th grade? collage?