My personal guesstimate is that what are commonly considered the higher order cognitive functions use way less than 1% of the total power estimated for the brain (and also, that the brain does them very inefficiently so a better implementation would use even less power).

    On the other hand, I also believe that *everything* "higher order" in the brain runs on top of and requires a massive amount of parallel pattern-matching power -- and that this is going to be the final limiting factor on reproducing human-level intelligence (and that we are probably at least ten years from the necessary processing power and architecture and algorithms for this).
----- Original Message -----
From: Joshua Fox
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 1:55 PM
Subject: **SPAM** [agi] Processing speed for core intelligence in human brain

Greetings, I am new to the list. I hope that the following question adds something of value.

Estimates for the total processing speed of intelligence in the human brain are often used as crude guides to understanding the timeline towards human-equivalent intelligence.

Would someone venture to guesstimate -- even within a couple of orders of magnitude -- the total processing speed of higher order cognitive functions, in contrast to lower-order functions like sensing and actuation. (Use any definition of "higher" and "lower" order which seems reasonable to you.)

I appreciate the problems with estimating human-equivalent intelligence based on raw speed, and I recognize that tightly integrated lower-order functionality may be essential to full general intelligence.

Nonetheless, it would be fascinating to learn, e.g., that the "core" of human intelligence use only 1% of the total power estimated for the brain. That would suggest that if lower order functions can be "outsourced" to the many projects now working on them, and  offloaded at runtime to remote systems, then human-order raw power may be closer than we thought.

Joshua