Ben:

> This kind of simple heuristic is not generally workable, though it may
> work OK in some circumstances.  Of course, this kind of thing has been
> tried before many times by others over the last decades.
>
> IMO this kind of rule cannot effectively be programmed into a system,
> if one wants general functionality ... instead such mappings must be
> *learned* ... taht is the Novamente approach.

I am also saying that the mapping must be learned.  In addition, the correct mapping to be learned would be the very rule that I stated, which is the most general rule.  Thus, the learning method should be ILP (inductive logic programming).

If you use a numerical mapping method, it should be equivalent to the rule I stated.  But most likely using the numerical method may end up with a more erratic mapping.

I made a slight mistake in the rule earlier, it should be:

IF
    n is significantly > the average / usual number of a thing X
    or n is significantly > half the elements in a set Y
THEN
    "there are many Xs"
    or "there are many in Y"

YKY