Yan King Yin wrote:

On 8/11/06, Charles D Hixson <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
> While what you say may be true, the typical sentence is of the form
> "...
> Sentences of the form "All x are y" are quite rare.  Ditto for sentences
> of the form "Some x are y".
(?) "some x are y" is quite common. YKY

In the response that you made, the only occurrences of the form "Some x are y" were quotations. I will go further: In normal language the use of ANY predicate logic is unusual. I'll grant that many of the constructs can be turned into a predicate logic form with sufficient twisting and turning...but it doesn't feel natural. It doesn't feel like a "this is how I was really understanding it". When I check on how I was really understanding things I frequently detect signs of a visual model with labeled nodes containing commentary. This commentary rather than usually being descriptive is prescriptive. It tells things that should be done rather then describe the model. Now the prescriptive comments tend to be of the form: If you want to achieve this result, do that. This form looks like predicate logic, but it isn't USED as predicate logic. It's a very local rule. The next step is to model how it would feel if I were to make the state transition indicated by the model. This appears to be largely kinesthetic feeling, but it's also specialized. A certain tension in the shoulder means "think very carefully before you do that", however the words are something that I have added after analysis, they aren't a part of the process. The tension actually means, if interpreted directly "lift your head up and scan for danger" (and again, this is done as muscle tensions, not as words).

OTOH, I'm not certain that everyone uses the same coding systems. I feel that I have reasonable observational grounds to doubt it. It's hard to get deeply enough into someone else's head to know how they are thinking in degree that they don't, themselves, notice, but I feel that I've notices sufficient to strongly indicate that some people think differently than I do. E.g., my wife has no trouble verbalizing her feelings, while for me it is always a matter calling for careful thought. I *feel* them, but verbalizing them is quite difficult.

This is not to say that propositional calculus can't be extended to handle this...but I definitely feel that you will need a much stronger than minimal computer to handle intelligence with that approach.