Whether or not the universe is computable, the future will be unpredictable.
There are 3 possibilities.

1. The universe cannot be simulated by a Turing machine.
2. The universe can be simulated by a Turing machine but not a finite state
machine (unbounded time and memory).
3. The universe can be simulated by a finite state machine (bounded time and
memory).

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
In case 1, the universe has infinite Kolmogorov complexity.  If we model a
rational agent as a Turing machine, then accurate predictions are impossible.
Examples of such universes could be where a rational agent is rewarded for
guessing true random bits (with a possibly known distribution), or the bits of
Omega (the probability that a random Turing machine will halt).

In case 2, AIXI proves that optimal behavior is to guess the shortest
consistent Turing machine.  This problem is known to be undecidable.
Furthermore, choosing the shortest machine leaves some uncertainty remaining:
there will always be an infinite set of less likely machines with the same past
but different futures.

In case 3, AIXI^tl provides a computable solution for the case where the agent
and environment have their own memory.  However a physical realization of the
universe is such that the agent is part of it.  The agent therefore cannot have
as many states (memory) as the universe containing it, so it cannot fully
simulate the universe.

Note that either time and memory are both bounded or both unbounded.  If time
is bounded, then only a finite amount of tape can be written.  If memory is
bounded to n bits, then a machine must either halt or cycle endlessly within
2^n steps.

Our current cosmological model of the universe is finite in distance, time,
mass, and number of possible quantum states, and therefore in entropy.
However, this model is based on observation, not proof.