Hi.

the "establishment" are not on board. I just can't believe that , for
example, almost all leading
computer-science/cognitive-science professors are
herd-following closed-minded stuck-in-the-muds. The leading universities do
have their share of creative, free-thinking, inquisitive people, and the
same goes for other parts of the "establishment".

I'm not that convinced that they are "not on board" when you talk
with them in private, the fact is just that AGI is still a bit vague
and very hard to sell (both in industry and as university research).
I think the road with AGIRI and workshop that Ben has taken
is very promising and might lead to a change in attitude. Recently
I read an interview with Minsky and he seems to make a few
points related to your question. Here is a link:
http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=17164&ch=infotech&sc=&pg=2

- lk

P.S. Ben, did you consider trying to invite Minsky to an AGI workshop?
Certainly it's hard and perhaps not possible yet, but that would be
a large advertisement for AGI.