----- Original Message ----
From: BillK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 11:43:46 AM
Subject: Re: [agi] SOTA

On 10/19/06, Matt Mahoney wrote:

> - NLP components such as parsers, translators, grammar-checkers
>

> Parsing is unsolved.  Translators like Babelfish have progressed little since
> the 1959
> Russian-English project.  Microsoft Word's grammar checker catches some
> mistakes
> but is clearly not AI.

<http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/nation/15783022.htm>

I think the problem will eventually be solved.  There was a long period of
stagnation since the 1959 Russian-English project but I think this period will
soon end thanks to better language models due to the recent availability of
large text databases, fast hardware, and cheap memory.  Once we solve the
language modeling problem, we will remove the main barrier to many NLP problems
such as speech recognition, translation, OCR, handwriting recognition, and
question answering.  Google has made good progress in this area using
statistical modeling methods and was top ranked in a recent competition.
Google has access to terabytes of text in many languages and a custom operating
system for running programs in parallel on thousands of PCs.  Here is Google's
translation of the above article into Arabic and back to English.  But as you
can see, the job isn't finished.

American soldiers heading to Iraq with a laptop translators from
Stephanie Hinatz daily newspapers (Newport News,va. (ethnic)نورفولكVa.
army-star trip now using similar instrument in Iraq to help the forces
of language training without contact with Iraqi civilians and the
training of the country's emerging police and military forces. the name
of a double discourse to address Albernamjoho translator, which uses
computers to convert spoken English Iraqi pwmound and vice versa. while
the program is still technically in the research and development
stage,Norfolk-based U.S. Joint Forces Command,in conjunction with the
Defense Advanced Research projects Agency,some models has been sent to
Iraq, 70 troops is used in tactical environments to evaluate its
effectiveness. and so far is fine and said Wayne Richards,Commander
leadership in the implementation section. the need for such a device
for the first time in April 2004 when the joint forces command received
an urgent request from commanders on the ground in Abragherichards.
soldiers on the ground needed to improve communication with the Iraqi
people. But because of the shortage of linguists and translators
throughout the Department of Defense do not come from the
difficult,even some of the forces of the so-called most important work
in Iraq today in Iraq, the training of police and military forces. get
those troops trained and capable of maintaining the security of the
country itself is a reminder of return for service members to continue
der inside and outside the war zone. experts are trying to develop this
kind of technical translation for 10 years,He said that Richards.
today, in its current form,The translator is the rugged laptop with the
plugs are two or loudspeakers and Alsmaatrichards pointing to a model
and convert. It is also easy to use Talking on the phone,as evidenced
shortly after the Norfolk demonstration Tuesday. I tell you, an Iraqi
withdrawal on a computer. you put the microphone up to your mouth. when
he said :"We are here to provide food and water for your family," You
held by the "E" key to security in a painting keys. you,I wrote to you
the text of what we discussed to delight on the screen. you wipe the
words to make sure you get exactly. If you can change it manually. when
you are convinced you to the "t" key to the interpretation and sentence
looming on the screen once Achrihzh time in Arab Iraq. the computer
also says his loud speakers through. the process is the same Balanceof
those who did not talk to you. I repeat what you have and the Arab
computer will spit on you, the words in the English language. as do
translator rights,the program assumes some meanings. " not 100%
"Richards. when I ask,For example,"Can the newspaper today," the
Arab-language Alanklizihaltrgmeh direct "Can the newspaper today."
because in any act made in every conversation with the translator is
taken. any translation is not due to the past program. Defense Language
Institute in California also true of all the translations and Richards.
now,because of its size,the best place to use the translator is at the
center of command and control or a classroom. It is unlikely that the
average Navy will be overseeing the cart with 100 pounds of equipment
to implement that attacks in Baghdad, in Sadr City. We hope if the days
will be small enough that the sergeant to be implemented in a skirt.
Think about it and Richards. sergeant beating on the door of the house
formulateseen in Fallujah. a woman answers the door. The soldier's
weapon. because it is afraid. the soldier immediately to the effects
translator and says :"I am not here to harm you. Is the rebels? "Today
our soldiers to interact with the local population," Richards. all
kinds of problems,He added :could be resolved if the American forces to
convey quietly unless doing, and what they wanted.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]