Olie,

I agree with most of your statements, however, history shows that
almost every subfield of AI has enjoyed a rapid progress period
accompanied by optimism, then followed by a long period of slow moving
accompanied by pessimism. Just think about expert system in the early
1980s and neural network in the late 1980s, or, more recently, the
rise of "multi-agent system" and "data mining" movements. Even NLP
looked promising to some people when statistical methods began to show
their power. Because of this, I'm not sure how long robotics can keep
its recent improving rate without major progress in AI in general.

I wonder if there is anyone in this list who has been actually working
in the field of robotics, and I would be very interested in learning
the causes of the recent development.

Pei