John> Fully decoding the human genome is almost impossible.  Not only
John> is there the problem of protein folding, which I think even
John> supercomputers can't fully solve, but the purpose for the
John> structure of each protein depends on interaction with the
John> incredibly complex molecular structures inside cells.

Yes, but you have all kinds of advantages in decoding the genome
that you don't have, for example, in decoding the human mind
(although you might have in an AGI): such as the ability to perform
ingenious knockout experiments, comparative genomics, etc.

Also, the
John> genetic code for a human being is basically made of the same
John> elements that the genetic code for the lowliest single-celled
John> creature is made of, and yet it somehow describes the initial
John> structure of a system of neural cells that then developes into a
John> human brain through a process of embriological growth (which
John> includes biological interaction from the mother -- why you can't
John> just grow a human being from an embryo in a petri dish), and
John> then a fairly long process of childhood development.

John> This is the way evolution created mind somewhat randomly over
John> three billion (and a half?) years.  The human mind is the
John> pinnacle of this evolution. With this mind along with collective
John> intelligence, it shouldn't take another three billion years to
John> engineer intelligence.  Evolution is slow -- human beings can
John> engineer.

Yes, but
(a) evolution had vastly more computational power than we did-- it
had the ability to use this method to design the brain; and
(b) plausible arguments (see What is Thought?) suggest that there
may be no better way to design a mind;
and
(c) the supposition that evolution can't engineer is also unproven.
You believe evolution designed us, and we engineer, so in a sense you
believe evolution engineers. But I suggest, when we "engineer" what we
basically do is a search over alternatives strongly constrained by knowledge
evolution built in, and that the way evolution got to us was similarly
by building knowledge that strongly constrained its search,
recursively; so in fact it may make considerable sense to say that
evolution engineers in basically the same way we do. Why do you think
it looks so much like we are designed?

John> options, please go to: http://v2.listbox.com/member/?list_id=303